FREE CONSULTATION - 757.491.4141    Facebook

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)


I’ve been injured in an accident, what do I need to do?

Your health comes first. Get to a physician right away and follow his or her advice. Secondly, it is never too early to get in touch with an attorney. Even if you don’t think you need representation, a quick FREE telephone call to Thomas, Adams & Associates, P.C., P.C. will quickly let you know what your legal rights are in your particular situation.

Just after my accident, the other insurance company was calling me to give them a recorded statement. What should I do?

You have legal or contractual duty to cooperate with the insurance company for the person who hit you. Giving them a recorded statement is dangerous because it locks you into a set of facts that might well be used against you in the future. Call an attorney first to find out what your rights are.

What makes the attorneys at Thomas & Associates, P.C. the right ones for my personal injury case?
Thomas, Adams & Associates, P.C. has eight attorneys and years of legal experience ready to be put to work in your case. Our experience in dealing with the insurance companies and in the courtroom will help make certain that your rights are preserved and you don’t get taken advantage of by the insurance companies who are not out for your best interests. When you call Thomas, Adams & Associates, P.C., you will be able to speak directly to an attorney and have a professional relationship with counsel who is dedicated to helping you.


What’s the difference between an uncontested and contested divorce?

In an uncontested divorce, the parties agree to all issues. The divorce is contested if parties disagree about equitable distribution, custody/visitation, or support.

Do you need to have a document to be separated?

No. You need an intention to live apart from your spouse permanently and separately. Note that living separately may mean at opposite ends of the house.

Do you need to have a separation agreement if you have no assets or have been married for a very short time?
It is highly recommended.


How much does it cost to have Thomas and Associates collect?

Nothing unless we collect something for you.

Will I have to go to court?

Possibly. It depends on whether or not the debtor contests the debt.

Can I make the debtor pay my attorney’s fees?
Yes. If the written contract between the parties allows for it, or there is a statutory provision authorizing it.


What is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?

A misdemeanor is punishable by up to 12 months in prison and a $2,500 fine. A felony is punishable by 1 year or more plus a fine.

Will I lose any rights if I am convicted of a crime?

You may lose some Constitutional rights if convicted of a crime.

Will a charge be on my record if it is dismissed?
If a charge against you is dismissed, it will still be on your record unless you submit a request to have it expunged.


I don't like my board. What can I do?

Participate. Be involved. Run for office. It is your association – be a part of it.

I don't like my association's rule. Do I have to obey them?

Yes. You can try to get them changed though.

Our assessments seem to go up every year, even though we have thousands of dollars in reserve. What can be done about this?
State law requires that the association have adequate money as reserve funds to, among other things, replace and repair the Association’s capital components. It is better to have extra money now than to not have money when you need it.